Monday 1 October 2012

Fifty shades of blue

Back when this project started, Rob promised me I could choose the colour of our front door.  

I said I wanted blue.

At the time, I thought this was a hugely generous gesture.

I've now realised that I get to choose the colour because it's the one thing that can't actually be seen from the inside of the house.

Anyway, that's fine, it's still my choice and I will be proud in making it.

Except that it turns out to be a more complex decision than I'd bargained for.

I thought I knew what colour blue I wanted.  Then these options arrived in my inbox:



Erm, right.  

I think I like Night Blue.  But I also like Steel Blue.  Dark Cobalt Blue is also nice.  Ultramarine Blue might be good.  Dark Sapphire Blue is also a possibility.  

The word Blue is starting to look weird.

I'm going to park that decision for now, and tell you about some interior developments.

We don't have floors, or heating, or hot water, or several essential walls - but we do now have a dining room table!   Priorities people, priorities - and you will know that for Rob, food is right up there with the essentials, so we went table shopping.

Slight problem - we went table shopping on the internet, and in our excitement about finding this perfect table, we bought it without actually measuring the space it is going into.

SCHOOLBOY ERROR.

It is nice though:


And anyway, it'll be fine.  Fine, right?  Fine.  Just fine.  And potentially a bit cosy if you are seated at the ends.  FINE.

(Incidentally, I did try to argue that perhaps we could go for a non-white table.  This suggestion was given short shrift by Rob.  When I complained that I wasn't allowed an opinion with respect to the interior design unless it was plain white, he told me I couldn't complain because he was buying me a front door.  I did point out that he might also be likely to benefit from the front door.  I got silence in return.  And a white table.)

Buoyed up by our interior design purchase success (it'll be fine), we took ourselves off to East London this weekend to visit a shop that makes copies of the lovely Louis Poulsen lamps we liked, but couldn't afford, in Denmark.  Other pharmacists will know the economic benefits of a good patent expiry - turns out it also applies to designer light fittings, and so we are able to buy generic lights for a fraction of the usual price.  Hurrah!  


Oooh, look at all those lovely lights!

We have decided on these for the study and sitting room:



But in, yes, white.

We have also purchased a pretty exciting light for the main hallway.  It's so exciting, that we aren't going to show you yet though - we are going to leave the big reveal for the housewarming party.



And I also found this swing chair:


Which Rob tells me I can't have because 'we would have to reinforce the ceiling in order for it to take your weight'.  Obviously this isn't offensive at all.

So excuse me whilst I go off to sob into my box of blue paint samples. 

1 comment:

  1. I think I have guessed the mystery light. Is it a bicycle chain chandelier? http://www.facaro.com/

    ReplyDelete