Monday 17 September 2012

And we're off!

D-day is here!  The builders have landed!  We have lift-off! 

WORK ON THE SLUM HAS STARTED

Readers, I'm a bit over excited today.  Finally, eventually, at last - the builders have started work and I couldn't be more thrilled.  

The road to architectural perfection is, of course, paved with HobNobs so I made sure we started off on the right foot:


The builders have started off by, er, knocking more stuff down...


I didn't think it possible to create any more bags of rubbish from this flat, but apparently I was wrong.  

And the reason for all this rubbish is almost too painful to type.

*sob*

Have a look for yourselves - I can't bear it...





Yes.  That's wall, after wall, after wall of exposed brick.  Because we are going to have the whole place re-plastered.  Which means there was no need to remove any of that flipping wallpaper.

*SCREAM*

And that's the last I'm saying on the matter.  We are never mentioning wallpaper removal, steamers, or fabric softener ever again.  EVER AGAIN.

To rub salt into our wounded, wallpaper soaked wounds, they've actually totally removed the wall between the study and kitchen:


They have also knocked a hole in the ceiling.  That's the lovely blue/pink paint in the main bedroom you can see there:


And this is the kitchen, viewed from the main bedroom.  Hmmm.


Other freshly revealed details include the news that not only was one wall made of wattle and daub upstairs, it seems all of the upper floors were constructed in the Neolithic period:




This isn't the case in the sitting room, which is all made of brick, from the looks of it.  Now, I'm no expert, but I'm not sure this looks like the most well constructed brick wall:


Hmmm.

Finally, I was pleased to see that the builders are using the provisions I sent them.  I also note that it seems to be the done thing to leave your boots in the property.  And also to leave a set of overalls hanging from the roof in order to freak out the person who comes to have a nose around after dark.  


So today, I have learnt three things.

1. Builders like HobNobs.

2. Don't bother to neatly sweep up before the builders start on your property.


 And 

3. Don't EVER mention wallpaper removal to me or Rob.  EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment